I never really liked almond milk, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that great. Store bought almond milk seems very watery to me and just not-so-creamy! So I went along to make my own and let me tell you WOW was it good! Then to discover it is lesser in calories than regular milk, 50% more calcium than regular milk, no cholesterol, plus the nutrients the almonds have to offer like the high quality protein, vitamins, unsaturated fatty acids along with high levels of bioactive molecules. Try it at home and tell me how much you love it!!!
Photo by: Michelle Welling
1 cup raw organic almonds
4 cups filtered water (cold)
1/2 tsp salt (I used Himalayan Pink salt)
1 tsp coconut palm sugar
splash of vanilla
1. Soak the almonds in water for 6 hours
2. Rinse the almonds you can peel off the skin of the almonds at this point, but to me it is time consuming and unnecessary
3. Combine all ingredients into blender
4. Blend on high for about a minute or until creamy
5. With a cheesecloth, clean dishtowel, or nut bag strain into pitcher. Pour in slowly, small amounts, and squeeze the contents, you are literally milking the cow here, but not!
Keep refrigerated and separation is normal so try to shake or whisk before serving. It will stay good for about a week :)